Stock screening allows you to filter through the data of thousands of stocks to find only those that meet your criteria. While there are many screeners out there, Portfolio123's is the most powerful and consistently top-rated. With over 10 years of refinements, it offers a perfect balance of ease of use and powerful capabilities. Some of the unique features are:
- Complete sets of technical, fundamental and estimate functions
- Advanced factors like Piotroski F-score
- Rankings to sort the results
- Custom Universes
- Powered by the best data in the business: FactSet and ICE Data
- Advanced tools like backtesting and hedging
- Rules can be entered either using pre-built "wizard" rules or "free-form"
Below is an example of a screen with three rules. The first one screens for stocks in the SP500 universe. The second seeks only those whose price is above the 50-day average. Finally, the last rule is a "Wizard" rule that screens for stocks whose 5-year sales growth rate is in the top 20% of their respective industry. Wizard rules are a great learning tool. They present the function in English but you can easily see the underlying free-form when you click on the magic wand.
Other notable features from the image:
- The complete reference is easily accessible and searchable on the spot.
- Under the "Settings" tab you can change things like the starting universe (which could be a custom one you create) and the ranking system that will be used to sort the results.
- Other screen functions, like backtesting, are easily accessible using the other tabs.
To help you get started we also offer a wide variety of screens based on famous investors, our own strategies, or simply to showcase different screening features. You can access these screens from the P123 Screens section on the left.
Below is a screenshot of the All-Stars screen category, which has 8 screens. There are three views for the list of screens: Chart, General and Performance. The "Chart" tab displays the screens 10-year simulated performance and key statistics so you can quickly see how these screens have performed in recent years.
NOTE: If the folders are not visible it's likely because the container is collapsed. You can expand it by clicking on the left edge of your browser.
Stock screening is one of the most written about tools. To become a proficient screener we recommend the following resources:
- Our easy to follow, step by step tutorials. You can find them here.
- For more in-depth discussion check out our A-Z guide.
- Check out some of the books in our Recommended Books.